Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Disappointment


I write today to express my complete disappointment that we lost one of the best videos ever filmed yesterday. I was planning on posting this video as a follow up to Geisman and Semantics so that the world can witness Joey and Geisman debate who gets screwed on spawns while watching a replay of a previous game of Halo. However, Joey (and Geisman) did not want this video leaked to the public.


I guarantee in five years he (Joey) will wish this video were on YouTube making him famous. Charlie is one of the most famous kids on the Web, but I'm sure at the time he was a little embarrassed that people would find out about his cannibalism. Biting fingers is not the most attractive habit, but Charlie was able to see the big picture and look what it did for him. And seven-year-old Latarian Milton probably didn't want his delinquency publicized to the nation's police force, but the kid has so much street cred now and I guarantee he will be big pimpin' by the time he hits age 10. And the way I see it, this is essentially a highlight reel for Latarian's driving, so as soon as he learns what "thing" he was yankin', he will probably be offered employment by some bus driving or taxi cab company. The same could have been said for Joey with this video, especially since I've been an unemployed Halo coach for almost a year now. But that opportunity is lost and I see Joey's Major Leaugue Gaming career going no where. Back to the drawing board with medical school.


So in the absence of a productive post, I will introduce an important Corollary to the P-T Ratio Theorem:


Corollary 1: Studying too much is just as bad as not studying enough


One of the most frustrating things for me is when I over-study for a test. Many people respond to this frustration by saying, "That's better than not studying enough." False. The extra time spent studying that didn't gain you any extra points on the test could and should have been used to study for some other subject, gaining points in that class. Therefore, by studying too much, you are studying too little for some other test, losing points in that class.


You may respond that you can study too much for one test and just the right amount for the other test (that I was claiming you were studying too little for), but this does not contradict my Corollary for two reasons. First, you could then claim you should have spent that extra time taking a nap, which would make you more rested and think better when test time comes. Or you could spend the time doing something completely unrelated to academics such as taking surveys for money, donating plasma, or calling your mom. In all cases, you are spending your time and gaining "points," whether that be money or brownie points. Therefore, your point-to-time ratio is guaranteed to be better than the point-to-time ratio of the time spent over-studying (where your points are 0 and your time is greater than 0). Secondly, if you claim you are studying enough for every class, then you are essentially claiming your grades are all As in which case you need to apply the P-T Theorem in reverse. You are spending too much time on your academics, and you need to find areas to slack off. There is always something else you can get ahead in such as what I mentioned earlier as well as your physical fitness, your personal blog, or, of course, your sniping skill (go find someone in the dorm and play one-on-one snipers only).


This concept is something that is hard to understand for many people. However, if the P-T Theorem is applied in full, this Corollary follows directly and you will realize that studying too muc is, in fact, truly a bad thing.

2 comments:

  1. I need some clarification prof. You say that if you are getting all As you're are spending too much time studying/on academics. This is completely hypothetical at this point since i am not getting all As but if I was how do you know that I am not putting in just the right amount of effort? If I followed your advice and shaved off some time i spent studying in order to make my muscles bigger and then my grades suffered, following your advice would be detrimental to my grades because I was already putting the correct amount of effort into them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm... this is a very good point, one I have not entirely thought through. I guess I would have to respond by saying this is in no way an exact science. That may seem like a cop-out but that's really the only true answer. There is no realistic way of knowing way of knowing if you are putting in the bare minimum amount of time/effort to get perfect grades, but the one thing you can be certain of is that there is no way you are putting forth not enough time/effort. Therefore, the only way to be more efficient would be to put less time/effort into your schoolwork and more in some other area of your life. To say that by spending ANY less time on schoolwork (no matter how little less time) you will no longer have perfect grades is to say that you are applying the PT Ratio to perfection, which I don't think is possible. And if it is, there is no realistic way of knowing if you are applying it to perfection. Great comment jOsh.

    ReplyDelete